the arc-shaped gate, one enters the “contrada” of Porta Tenca: a contrada used
to be a geographical subdivision within the same town or city. A few steps
ahead, one can see the main church,
dedicated to St. Nicola from Bari, protector of water. The church contains
beautiful paintings, among which “The
Annunciation”, attributed to either AltobelloMelone or Gianfranco Bembo, “Ecce Homo” by Bernardino Campi, and the
coat of arms of the Gonzaga, visible on the main altar.
contrada of San Giuseppe hosts the “oratorio”,
an additional site for prayer and celebration of the Mass, established in 1688.
Do not be tricked by the simple façade, however: the front door will reveal a
nave full of frescos, which form a sumptuous architecture through illusionistic
The convent of San Bernardino, built in
1476, is located in the homonymous contrada, although only a few traces of the
ancient architecture remain: it was in fact turned into a house after the
monastic orders were suppressed.